Criteria for Website Excellence
World Best Website Awards
are evaluated using a 100 factor scoring system. Stars are allocated
according to the total score received. Each star is made up of
5 categories of evaluation & each contributes 20% to the total
- 5 stars
= 91 - 100%
- 4 stars = 80 - 90%
- 3 stars = 60 - 79%
- 2 stars = < 60%
1 - Functionality (20%)
001. breadth of browser compatibility
002. minimum & maximum monitor resolutions
003. plain text/HTML alternate entry paths
004. appeal to universal audience - multilingual translations,
cultural sensitivity, disability access & services
Speed & Bandwidth Sensitivity
overall page sizes & complexity
006. average download times
007. download order & image redraws
008. wait to first reaction/interaction times
009. clean HTML with no faulty code
010. workability of active x, rollovers, applets, etc.
011. page titles, descriptions, keywords & tags
013. navigation functionality & clarity
014. link integrity
015. quality & depth of links provided
016. external Vs internal link ratios for access to core information
017. original artwork, music, intellectual property etc.
018. international copyright laws are correctly observed
019. quotations, images & intellectual property from 3rd parties
are appropriately cited
020. legal site content & legal site activities
2 - Design (20%)
021. exceptional artistry
022. elegance & sophistication of core design concepts
023. typography & font styles
024. clever synergies of visual elements
025. ease of use
026. aids, tools & help resources
027. interface functionality
028. clarity & simplicity
029. visual appeal
030. professional appearance
031. artistic integration
032. color harmonies
033. general layout & use of space
034. complexity & quality of tables
035. effective use of layers
036. use of borders, dividers, rules
037. effectiveness of unified feel
038. congruence of elements
039. audio-visual synchronization
040. consolidation & reinforcement of purpose
3 - Content (20%)
041. specific mission or website goals
042. message & its expression
043. usefulness & quality of content, free resources etc.
044. reason to return
045. customer/surfer interaction processes
046. membership & community facilities
047. Email lists, newsletters, newsgroups, chat, BB
048. other value added services provided
049. simplification of complex components, use of synopsis &
050. information architecture, primary purpose, construct clarity,
chunking, packaging, FAQ's & RFC
051. perceptual clarity, focus of attention, visibility of functions
052. information access - content rating systems, usability, search
facility, site map, steps to destination, readability, effectiveness
of image maps
053. clarity of grammar & use of language
054. articulation of complex concepts
055. spelling, punctuation etc.
056. absence of duplication & repetition
057. absence of mistakes &/or inaccuracy
058. absence of incongruities
059. absence of dead ends & outdated pages
060. absence of process failures & code crash
4 - Originality (20%)
& Lateral Thinking
061. uniqueness & rarity of offerings
062. commendable insight or utility
063. advanced, unusual, or clever solutions
064. innovation in content worthy of public merit
065. originality of components
066. elegance & sophistication
067. style variation from industry fashions
068. creative use of resources
069. effective use of leading edge technologies - Java, DHTML,
active X, advanced coding, XML, CSS, peer to peer
070. compression technologies, RealPlayer, Flash, Beatnik
071. audio & video broadcast, use of streaming media
072. database integration & functionality
073. resonance in memory
074. multi-sensory appeal & impact
075. strength of emotional impression &/or evocative attitude
076. strength of "mindprint"
077. forward thinking
078. advanced solutions
079. leading-edge activities
080. quality of predictive research
5 - Professionalism & Effectiveness (20%)
Service & Client Respect
081. ease of contact & responsiveness
082. management of requests & complaints from customers
083. customer testimonials provided
084. refund policy & privacy practices published
085. business ethics, absence of "clever rorts"
086. honesty in advertising & self representations
087. contributions &/or support of worthy public causes
088. free services/tools/facilities provided
089. clarity & potency of message delivery
090. absence of unrequested intrusions (e.g. pop ups)
091. absence of "attention clash"
092. absence of conceptual "dissonance"
093. WAP & WebTV formats
094. use of interactive maps & other active media
095. active server & dynamically generated pages
096. e-commerce solutions, secure servers or advanced systems/technologies
not listed in other categories.
097. professionalism in achieving website goals
098. website traffic & statistics
099. potency of impact
100. prompts to action
Copyright 1998-2004 World Best Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.
All factors examined
in Level One will also apply in Level Two - PLUS:
of websites role & function, citations, awards, site linkages,
prominence in Internet community.
Innovation - lateral solutions, paradigm busting innovations,
leading edge contributions, industry leadership.
Standards - ISO apply in industry?, certifications,
industry endorsements, awards, member of appropriate professional
associations, qualifications of staff for service provided.
Performance Analysis - traffic patterns through the
site, scan flow analysis, data analysis systems, effective use
of autoresponders (if appropriate).
Engine Visibility - effective use of titles, meta tags,
& page content, keyword relevancy, accuracy of summary descriptions,
clarity of purpose.
Engine Rankings - top positions on principle keywords
& phrases, page rankings, adherence to search engine protocol,
effectiveness of tag coding.
URL clarity - domain distinctiveness, memorability,
competitive positioning, address permanence.
& Branding Strategy - strength of logo, label &
other psychological, perceptual & emotional "anchors" of brand,
marketing strategy, viral marketing, ethical utilization of email,
chat & community forums.
Analysis (where applicable) - customer data collected,
Email lists & Newsletters available, clarity of business process
& efficiencies, E Commerce facilities, SSL, price lists, shopping
carts, invoices, accuracy of billing, timeliness, order fulfillment,
back end database integration, customer relations, marketing &
Server Security Checks (written
authorizations required) advanced security analysis - port scans,
trojan sweeps, vulnerability profiles, firewall setups, network
sniffers, software & application faults, e-mail vulnerabilities,
database & human interface weaknesses.
Efficiency - bandwidth type & availability, uptime,
internal network, ISP, global mirrors, cluster servers?
Surfer Votes & Customer Endorsements
- site popularity & active consumer support.